Woo or True?: Placenta Consumption for Prevention of Post-Partum Depression


This is something I’m experimenting on. I’ve thus far taken a very long creative break from blogging. I have a long list of ideas that I need to actually work out, but this one is my favorite. I call it “Woo or True?”
 
In “Woo or True?” I will discuss a parenting topic I see debated and discussed often and whether or not it is scientifically sound. As per usual, I source as much as I can, and my source list can be found at the very end of this blog. I welcome any and all suggestions for topics. These posts will also be attempted to be kept as a somewhat light read.

I do personally apologize for the LONG break of posts here on Back From Nature. Enjoy!

Maranda


An often underestimated topic in the natural parenting community is placenta consumption. It’s a topic I saw more often than almost any other, and yet it is also one I almost never see discussed on science-based parenting blogs, websites, or groups. I, myself, had wanted to consume mine. I can still recall reading placenta pot roast recipes online. 


“I ate my placenta with some fava beans and a nice chianti”

In fact, there are people with entire careers based on placental encapsulation (the act of steaming, dehydrating and grinding the placenta before putting it into a pill) for new mothers. Mothers, doulas, and midwives of various backgrounds can be found promoting consumption either by cooking it as any other meat, raw, encapsulated, or in smoothies. But where’s the proof? What does placentophagy (the consumption of placenta) supposedly even do? Does it completely prevent the PPD or just alleviate it?
 
What they say it does:

I truly felt better shortly after taking them--on mornings when I felt sluggish or anxious, I could feel a change in my body after taking the pills.” [1]

The difference between my first two postpartum periods and the third was simply amazing! Instead of about five days of crying and feeling totally overwhelmed, even paranoid, I experienced one afternoon of teariness and then I was able to recognize that my feelings were related to hormones. I felt more in control than I had with my first babies and so much happier.” [2]

“The placenta is thought to be rich in nutrients that the mother needs to recover more readily from childbirth. . . . Researchers from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) conducted a study that focused on CRH (Corticotropin-Releasing Hormone). . . . They concluded that the placenta secreted so much CRH that the hypothalamus stopped producing it. Once the placenta was born, it took some time for the hypothalamus to get the signal that the CRH levels were low, and to begin producing it again.” [3]*

           Proof that it’s true:

Well, not much.  Like a lot of things in the world of woo, I seemed to find that most of the “proof” of the benefits of placental consumption came from moms all boasting about it to eachother. If you find this to count as evidence, I wish to direct you here.

Listed in my third source above, was a few studies. Now, I had to google it, as their source link was dead, but I did find the 1995 Discover study on CRH and PPD. [4]

Human placenta is also used in traditional Chinese medicine.

Proof that it’s woo:

           Firstly, I’d like to point out that nowhere in the study on CRH and PPD was placental consumption ever discussed or brought up or researched. Not once. Consumption was not part of the study. The conclusion was made, clearly, in the part of the author of the post as well as other placental consumption advocates, who made the conclusion that “If I lose this and get depressed, then when I eat it it’ll make me not depressed.” 

Placental encapsulation businesses are also held to absolutely no standards, guidelines, or rules. There is no body that sets regulations for how a placenta must be handled when encapsulated. As a result, the dangers of having someone take your placenta and encapsulate it are many. They could be throwing your placenta in the toilet, they could be throwing it in the garbage and giving you ground up hair. Dramatic, but truly the risk of strangers without training or mandation on encapsulation.

 “Well,” you may be saying “I’m not having someone else encapsulate my placenta! I will be handling it all on my own!”

In 2012, Michelle Beacock of Edge Hill university conducted a study published in the British Journal of Midwifery that found that evidence of proof behind anecdotes about placental consumption is limited, dated, and ultimately inconclusive. [5]

In 2015, Northwestern University in Illinois conducted a review published in Archives of Women’s Mental Health. The review looked at placenta-consumption related research since 1950 and could not find any data to support the claims that eating the placenta raw, cooked, or in pill form carried any health benefits. Also in the review, was the fact that there are no studies which look at the actual risks of placental consumption. [6]

And do I really have to debunk traditional Chinese medicine?

           So, is it woo or true?

           SURVEY SAYS….. WOO!

           There is nothing current, detailed, and conclusive that supports this idea that placental consumption will prevent PPD. The closest thing to that evidence is anecdote, which as you know, simply is not enough. There are also no studies that address the potential risks.

           Back From Nature, and science, firmly recommend that you do NOT eat your placenta for any reason.

           You wouldn’t eat poop. You wouldn’t eat vomit. You wouldn’t eat your liver. Please, don’t eat your placenta.



SOURCES:

[1]          Milioto, Biba (October 22, 2013)                                http://www.xojane.com/healthy/why-placenta-encapsulation-is-the-smartest-post-partum-decision-i-could-have-made “Why Placenta Encapsulation Is The Smartest Post-Partum Decision I Could Have Made”
 
[2]          Sarah     http://placentabenefits.info/testimonials.asp

[3]          Selander, Jodi                                                    http://placentabenefits.info/medicinal.asp “Placenta for Healing”
* A fun note on this source. While this post discusses the benefits of placenta for healing, including stopping hemorrhaging, preventing PPD, promoting breast milk production, enhancing pain tolerance, etc, there is a disclaimer at the bottom that says: “This site is for informational purposes only. It does not intend to treat, cure, or prevent any disease.” I found this particularly interesting because, while this legal disclaimer claims this is not intended to treat a disease, it seems fairly obvious that is exactly what the intention is. This is one of many examples of truly sneaky practices made by woo-promoters in order to provide bogus health advice without getting sued when it doesn't work.

[4]          Ilona S. Yim, PhD, Laura M. Glynn, PhD, Christine Dunkel Schetter, PhD, Calvin J. Hobel, MD, Aleksandra Chicz-DeMet, PhD, and Curt A. Sandman, PhD (1995)                     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2768579/ “Elevated Corticotropin-Releasing Hormone in Human Pregnancy Increases the Risk of Postpartum Depressive Symptoms”

[5]          Beacock, Michelle (July 1, 2012)                 http://www.magonlinelibrary.com/doi/abs/10.12968/bjom.2012.20.7.464 “Does eating placenta offer postpartum health benefits?”

[6]          Cynthia W. Coyle, Kathryn E. Hulse, Katherine L. Wisner, Kara E. Driscoll, Crystal T. Clark (October 2015)                Archives of Women’s Mental Health, Volume 18, Issue 5, pp 673-680 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00737-015-0538-8 (Placentophagy: therapeutic miracle or myth?)  --OR-- http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33006384
 

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting thank you and thanks for the links. I was looking into this last year and found all kinds of woo including people selling homeopathic placenta tincture which claimed to be a treatment for ill babies!

    ReplyDelete